Main Street Streetscape Project

PBDD worked with the City of Pine Bluff and McClelland Consulting Engineers, Inc. to plan the Main Street Streetscape Project. Pine Bluff’s City Council approved the project with $500,000 awarded to the city of Pine Bluff from a Federal Highway and Transportation enhancement grant. With a price tag of approximately $2.3 million, Phase One of the project enhances Main Street from the Jefferson County Courthouse south to Fourth Avenue. Street upgrades include the addition of a center median and wider sidewalks. Decidious canopy trees were replaced with Bradford pear trees that are adaptive to urban conditions. The planned Phase Two will extend the upgrades to Eighth Avenue.

Barraque Plaza Shade Project

Funding for this $30,000 project was received from an Arkansas Historic Preservation grant through Main Street Arkansas, Fifty for the Future and the Pine Bluff Area Community Foundation. Sutliff Construction Company erected the canopy's metal support structure and East Harding Construction Company installed the fabric shade panels. The project was completed in June 2019.

Pop Up in the Bluff

Pop Up in the Bluff is a community development initiative focused on revitalizing underutilized areas in Downtown Pine Bluff by illuminating their potential. First organized in September 2017, the event brings in local vendors, chefs and artists to sell products, showcase art and enjoy family friendly activities. The event features live music from local and regional talent, more food and beverages. Pop Up in the Bluff is staged on different downtown streets each year.

Saracen Lake Playground

Located on Pullen Avenue with a breathtaking view of Lake Saracen, this ADA-compliant playground is designed to be safely enjoyed by children with disabilities as well as non-disabled children. Completed in April 2018, the project was funded with a $150,000 grant from the Arkansas Blue and You Foundation, a $25,000 grant from the Simmons First Foundation, and a $150,000 from the Arkansas Tourism Department.

Lake Saracen Walking Trail

Construction of the trail began in 2009 and was divided into eight phases, with the final phase completed in Fall 2017. The trail encircles Lake Saracen with a total circuit length of about 5 miles. Total cost of the project, near $800,000, was funded by 20% Pine Bluff city sources and the remaining 80% from federal government sources, including a grant from The Arkansas Department of Transportation. The paved trail, suitable for walking, jogging and cycling, features amenities such as mile markers, benches, a covered fishing pier and a bridge. In 2011, Lake Saracen Walking Trail received the Arkansas Governor’s Leadership in Fitness Award.

Saracen Landing

Completed in 2007 on the southern shore of Lake Saracen, the centerpiece of Saracen Landing is a complex of three pavilions, two of which provide small office space, rest rooms and covered parking, ideal for the Farmers Market which makes its home here. The main pavilion is suspended on piers above the water’s surface, and offers

10,500 square feet of covered space for wedding ceremonies, receptions, dances or any event that would be enhanced by stunning lake views. The public can reserve the pavilion by calling Pine Bluff Parks and Recreation Department.

Third & Main Street Park

In 2021, the park received all-new landscaping and lighting. Funding was received through Main Street Arkansas and the Historic Preservation Grant.

Financial Assistance

In 2020, PBDD was able to provide financial assistance to 11 downtown businesses through Main Street Arkansas and the Historic Preservation Grant. Funds supplemented income shortfalls due to the COVID-19 pandemic and were applied toward rent, utilities, cleaning supplies and other business expenses.

Barraque Garden and Plaza

Also during 2021, Barraque Garden and Barraque plaza received new landscaping.